Tuesday, 20 October 2015

Discovering values

I found myself smiling as I walked away from lunch with a friend. We spoke about relationships and what makes some of them click. 

While staying in touch plays a great role in maintaining relations, the fundamental values two people share, is often the greatest indicator of the strength of the same. It is rightly said, 'Show me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are'. A recent finding in line with that age old saying is that we are an average of the 5 people we spend most of our time with. 

Whether we are talking about platonic friendships or romantic relationships, discovering the values of the person can sometimes be a challenge! Our childhood can provide some amazing clues to solve this puzzle - whom we played with as kids, where we went to school, our parents and their lifestyles, the way we were taught life lessons, how we were trained to spend our free time, and the kind of environment we grew up in.

I don't mean to say that these are limiting. Every day, every hour we can choose to change these things about ourselves, and hence our value system. 

Today, when I look around myself and think of every person I hold a meaningful relationship with, there is a considerable overlap in values and integrity! 

Theoretical Tuesday much ;) 

No comments: