Sunday, 1 September 2013

A kids perspective

It's been a commute high these past few weeks. Be it at home, in chennai where I was going across towns visiting grandparents, temples, and favorite restaurants or now back in Singapore with parents around. 

As a result there is the favourite task of noticing what fellow commuters are upto. Last evening I was on a pretty empty bus. Just as I got in and tapped I noticed a very friendly looking guy. He was obviously special. He waved frantically as people entered the bus all in return for an array of weird stares; obviously judgmental stares. 

I looked at him but could not help breaking into a smile. I was no different by the way. My smile was half guilty for not mimicking my fellow travelers in disapproving of his seemingly innocent happiness, and only half happy in seeing him.

I walked across him and into the back of the bus, lost in thoughts of my own inspired by the warm music playing in my ears. And every subsequent commuter had only judging glares. We were all united in our censure. Nothing was out of place. 

There was a kid next to me with his grandfather, and it looked like he was being picked up from school. The poor darling was tired and tried hard to keep his head from bobbing away in sleep. As if his efforts weren't enough, the grandfather would whack him on his thigh if he dozed a breath. 

A little while later the kids stop arrived and the couple got off their seats to walk to the door. The kid was just getting to terms with beating his sleep till he gets home. Like a drunk man, his legs gave way as he came dancing to stand still. He then looked around and remembered the special young man. He walked up to the man and waved, spelling 'bye'. They continued to wave to each other till the boys stop arrived.

I sat there putting my head down in embarrassment. What is it that makes us guilty of people living in their own will. When exactly do we stop being that kid and turn into heartless monsters. In fact isn't it our duty as responsible humans to show more compassion to that young man to make him feel included? Especially when he makes the first move.

No comments: