Wednesday, 15 May 2013

You reap what you sow

One of the best things about living in my hostel is this - there is a supermarket that satisfies most of the urgent needs of a student. They even stocked up on my favourite cereal and my loyalty has been set in stone, since. Another part I admire about the store is how a group of middle aged women run it. In the first two years of university, there used to be a very friendly Aunty who even knew most of her customers on a first name basis. 

I came back to live in the same hostel in my fourth year only to find that friendly Aunty replaced by someone else - someone who didn't seem to like smiling or small talk, much. I reciprocated her air and didn't try to be friendly like I normally do. I didn't even thank her as often I'd like to. 

This morning I walked into the store deep in thought; I picked up my routine breakfast items and walked to the counter without noticing her. I smiled and thanked without remembering to maintain an air of nonchalance. And to all my surprise she returned my courtesy with a smile. 

That's when I realized something. To get affection you need to give it. To get anger you need to give it. To get a smile you need to give it. To get compromise you need to give it. It's a two way process; always will be. 

No comments: