Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Actions vs. Consequences


This HBR article struck a chord. And also because I have been preparing for an ethics module these past few days, I get multiple opportunities to see actions and consequences in different light.

How many times do we think only about our actions and not about our consequences? The HBR article tackles just one focused case of actions vs. consequences - 'How do say sorry keeping in mind that the person was affected by the consequences of your action, and not the action itself?'.

Think about how this simple theory can be spread far and across! What are the consequences of watching YouTube videos or chatting on Facebook more than a limit? What are the consequences of taking a relationship for granted? What are the consequences of being unaccountable? What are the consequences of procrastinating?

This concept comes back to understanding the problem from the other perspective. "Don't judge a man till you have walked two moons in his moccasins".

Today's learning is to think outsider your view point and become more accountable!

--

Update:

So I did it! I made someone angry yesterday and I apologized today after thinking through the problem from his point of view as well. I told him how I understood his perspective and how I feel his emotions. I explained why the consequences of his actions angered me, and how I understand the consequences of my actions. Luckily for me, he took it well and we spoke. It all ended on a good note.

And boy, I feel SO good. I know he does too! This has been a good day.  

No comments: