Monday, 4 March 2013

A Good Helping of Nostalgia

Little things that don't seem to matter today, somehow become the milestones of tomorrow. I don't remember any memory markers fixing themselves inside my head when I had curd rice and curry for lunch, at home. I don't even remember telling myself "This is heaven, you will probably find this hard to chance upon in future", whenever I had yummy food.

Just yesterday, I was recollecting to my friends about how it had been ages since I ate with my hands. There is an old saying my grandmother used to often recollect at mealtimes. I don't remember the exact words, but it goes along the lines of "Eating with your hands makes the food even yummier". Rushed, salted, hoteled versions of the same food mom makes at home - is never suitable for eating with hands. Or so I tell myself. It's mostly utensil dining. Spoons, Forks, and Knives lead the way to the mouth. Not primitive Hands. They are just followers or second-fiddles in the journey.

Today, I walked down to the canteen to grab a box of curry and rice. I came back to my room and switched-on Best of Phoebe Buffay on YouTube. As I unwrapped my food I realized I could actually sit down on the floor, spread my foil, and get my Hands to work; to lead the way. And that is exactly what I did.

And man, that felt like heaven--all over again. I remembered every meal I ate at home and all those memories came back with no special markers. They were just memories from another day, in the past.

Moments like these have the power to recharge you and boost the depleted willpower account for the day. And that is exactly what I needed.

And for special perks - my room feels like home with all the smell of food. I am a happy walrus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this paragraph is nice, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, thus I am going to inform
her.

my page ... family advice