Sunday, 18 November 2012

#6 - Learning to be a team mate

My biggest learning from ES2007S(a module at university) was working in teams. I used to be someone who was very comfortable working on a project by myself. I liked to do things my way and it was very tough for me to trust someone else with that. While this technique might provide success when I work on my art, it is an impediment to learning in university.

I had long realized the repercussions of my preference and it was time to learn otherwise. I have worked in teams these past three years of course. While they have taught me the benefits of team work in their own little ways, none of them truly gave me the spirit of working in teams. We would split the work between ourselves and put it all together in the end. Engineering gives you that much freedom.

However in ES2007S right from day one, I was put in teams and forced to work with others. It helped me get out of my shell and understand what team work truly means. I understood the benefits of brainstorming and talking through ideas with my team mates. I saw how each one of us throws an unique light on the subject and how our understanding of the same issue varies.

Initially, I was skeptical of whether my interactions would prove useful. As a result I would give only my reserved opinion and instead listened to what was going on, most of the time. Two group works into the module, I felt the usefulness of listening and was slowly getting ready to share my opinions as well. What was tough with taking criticism, turned into putting the constructive feedback to thought and subsequently action.

I can now say in truth that I believe in team work. I understand the dynamics of it. I understand how respecting everyone's opinions matters and how it can be most useful in coming to a solution. I understand how the foundations of group work lie on strong principles of communication and interaction.

Thank you class, for being most helpful in teaching me a lesson. And thank you Brad, for letting us discover the usefulness of conversation. 

No comments: