Saturday, 7 July 2012

Fixing it instead of throwing it away

I read one of those cheesy quotes on Facebook just now.

"When asked how they managed to stay together for 65 years, the woman replied 'We were born in a time when something broke you fixed it and not throw it away"

First thoughts, like I said I found it cheesy. But I gave it another seconds thought and realised that it is true isnt it. Some things that were made in the 40s or 50s still work fine. Like my grandmothers gramophone and my granddads telephone. He would sincerely repair it when it went crazy. There was more purity in the air than now. Things were simple.

The advent of science and technology and the wish to make life simple and easy has actually complicated everything in my opinion. Can you repair your mobile set if it got repaired today? No, I have no clue what is wrong with it and the HTC service at Singapore wants me to fly to India to get mine repaired, for instance.

The days of bread and peanut butter have flown away. Its italian/parmesan/wheat/raisin/banana bread with peanutbutterwithstrawberryjelly/blueberryessence/chocolatechip.

This complication has led us to approach everything with a more careless attitude, if I may.

Doesn't work? Throw it away. Not I should try to understand why it went wrong.
Too much food? Waste it. Not I shouldn't buy this much food next time.
Fought with a friend? Forget that bitch. Not Did I do something wrong? What can we do to make it work.

I should adapt the repairing strategy as well.

No comments: