Monday, 11 June 2012

A smaller serving



The concept of eating out of small plates not new to me. Mom always practices that and I can't even count the number of times I have thought it did not make sense. I am sorry Amma. Now I completely understand that!

Dan and Chip recommend the same path for controlling your elephant in their book 'Switch'. Two groups of movie-goers were given free but stale popcorn. One group however a bigger bucket than the other. So did these people eat their popcorn at all? Was there a difference in the amount they ate?

Yes to both the questions. Both groups did eat the stale popcorn. More over, the group with the bigger bucket ate more than the group with the smaller bucket. Moral of the story? When your supposed capacity is bigger you eat more.

The authors suggest a learning of 'change the situation to solve the problem' through this analogy. If we were trying to get these people to eat less popcorn, what should we do? We would simply give them a smaller bucket.

I have been trying to take smaller portions for dinner these days. So when I go for the second serving, my head knows that it is the second and hence tries to be content with a smaller portion at the end of the day.

I think this is also a part-reason, gourmet dishes are so fulfilling. Forget that fine dining is usually yummier/ more exquisite than regular dining. They come in such tiny portions! But after three courses you want to be done!

To changing situation and eating lesser! Hopefully this seed of thought will pave way for a flatter tummy..

No comments: